Healthy Back Workout 11
- Complete in one circuit with minimal rest in between circuits.
- Rest 1-2min and then complete the circuit a 2nd time.
1) Start position: Lie face down on floor with hands down at sides. You may place a rolled towel under forehead to clear face from floor.
2) Raise chest and head off floor keeping feet in contact with floor.
3) Return to start position.
4) To increase resistance, extend arms and place hands overhead.
5) Do not raise head past 8-12 inches – excessive hyperextension may cause injury. To vary exercise raise feet while raising trunk.
Incline Hip Raise
Lie and an incline bench with your head at the top and your feet towards the lower side.
Starting position: Bring your knees to your chest and curl your hips up towards your shoulders.
Return to the starting position.
Lying Side Crunch
1) Lie with back on floor or bench with knees bent.
2) Start position: Let your knees fall to the right so that your hips are somewhat rotated.
3) Leading with the chin and left shoulder, contract abdominal muscles and raise left shoulder off floor or bench towards left knee.
4) Return to start position. Repeat with other side.
5) Remember to keep head and neck in neutral position throughout movement. Do not twist excessively – elbow does not need to touch knee.
Air Bike Crunches
1. Start by lying on your back with your hands behind your back and thighs bent 90 degrees at your hip.
2. Simultaneously curl your right shoulder and left knee up towards the center of your body until your elbow and knee touch. Return to the starting position and repeat with the other side.
3. Continuously repeat this pattern for the prescribed repetitions.
Zercher Good Mornings
1. Stand in an upright position and place a barbell in the crease of your elbows. Bend your arms to less than 90 degrees to create this crease.
2. Holding the barbell in your arms bend forward at the waist to about 45 degrees.
3. Stand back up to an upright position and repeat. Remember to keep your legs straight throughout the movement.